So far as the functions of a DIET are concerned, the POA quoted the different functions of a DIET which can be stated as follows –
1. Training and Orientation of the following target groups
- Elementary school teachers (both pre-service and in-service education)
- Head Master, Heads of school complexes and officers of the Educational department up to Block level.
- Instructors and supervisor of Non-Formal and Adult Education (induction level and continuing education)
- Members of DBE and Village Education Committee (VECs) Community Leaders, Youths, and other volunteers who wish to work as educational activities.
- Resource persons of different academic training for the target group mentioned above
2. To provide academic and resource support to the elementary and adult education system in the district through extension activities and interaction with the field development of locally available low cost and no cost teaching-learning material.
3. Conducting action research and other experimentation in order to solve certain specific problems faced by the teachers of the district.