DIET, Sonitpur has been working as a study centre of open distance learning under Indira Gandhi National Open University (LGNOU) and Krishna Kanta Handique State Open University (KKHSOU) from 2003 through which a considerable nos. of untrained in-service teachers of lower primary and upper primary schools of the district have got certificate and in primary education as well as Diploma in Elementary Education. From 2003 to 2010, the DIET, Sonitpur had been serving as a study centre of Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) under one Sr. Lecturer of the DIET as Co-ordinator along with three counsellors for DIET faculties which had been duly appointed by the IGNOU authority to perform the certificate course in primary education in distant mode. During this period (from 2003 to 2010) ……………… nos. of primary and upper primary teachers of the district had got the certificate in primary education from IGNOU through this study centre of DIET, Sonitpur. Similarly from 2013 to till date the DIET, Sonitpur has been working as a study centre of Krishna Kanta Handique State Open University for conducting Diploma Course in elementary education for in-service elementary teachers of the district in a distant mode. During this period, 193 nos. of TET qualified in-service elementary teachers have successfully completed the Diploma in Elementary Education and 61 nos. have appeared the final examination (result) yet to be declared and other 210 in-service teachers have been studying in D.El.Ed. Course in this study centre of KKHSOU. One Sr. Lecturer and 5-6 nos. of DIET faculties are in charge of this study centre as co-ordinator and counsellor respectively.
Pre-Service Teacher Education:
As per the recommendation and affiliation of NCTE, from the DIET, Sonitpur has been conducting a Two Year Pre-Service Teacher Education Programme on a face to face transaction mode with NCTE recognized curriculum which provides a Diploma in Elementary Education. From ………. to till date ……….. nos. of students have been offered Diploma in Elementary Education by this DIET, Sonitpur after successful completion of this two year Diploma Course. There are …. nos. of students, who are now studying in D.El.Ed. course in this institute in different semester against the institute intake capacity of 100 students per year.
In-Service Teacher Training:
The DIET, Sonitpur has been conducting a number of short term in service teacher training for both lower and upper elementary teachers of the district on various subjects according to the need of the teacher from time to time. As per the approved Annual Work Plan and Budget, the DIET has been conducting this short term in-service training programme both at the institute as well as in each of the elementary education block where teachers from lower primary and upper primary schools participate according to their needs. In these training programmes, our faculties along with some resource teachers of the district have been participating as resource persons.
School support visit:
Our faculties have been visiting the various elementary schools of the district for time to time in order to provide academic support to the teacher in situ faculty in each month staying 4 – 5 hrs. in each school in each visit.
Extension service performed by DIET faculties-
In addition to the normal duties, the faculties of the DIET have been performing a number of various extension services relating to the academic enrichment of the district. Some of these extension works done by our faculties are mentioned below
A. Text Book Preparation:
As the need and demand of the society change for time to time, there is a prime need of modification of textbook. Recently, in order to incorporate child centric and activity based approach in the teaching learning process, the traditional text books of elementary level have been gradually changing as per the recommendation of National Curriculum Framework. Our faculty members with various subject specialization have been devoting full cooperation in the mechanism of new text book preparation for time to time.
B. Organization of Awareness Campaign:
The success of education and its various interventions mostly depends upon the development of surrounding social and economical environment of the society. In order to make the people aware about the various issues related to educational development, the DIET, Sonitpur have been conducting awareness campaign in different socially, economically and educationally backward areas of the district. Some of these awareness programmes conducted by DIET, Sonitpur during last five years are stated below:-
- Awareness campaign among the people of the garden community against the social evil like witch hunting.
- Organizing awareness campaign on women empowerment programmes among the women of char and other socially and educationally backward areas of the district.
- Organizing awareness programme on various aspects of Right to Education Act, 2009 among the people of educationally backward areas like tribal and minority areas.
- Environmental awareness campaign among the people of the district for protection and conservation of natural flora and fauna.
- Attending question paper development workshop organized by various teachers Association. Besides, conducting the question paper development workshop among the teachers of elementary level, the faculties of the DIET have been attending question paper development workshop organized by various teachers’ association for primary to secondary level. In regard to this, DIET Sonitpur has developed a evaluation tool for mathematics of class – v through a workshop.
- Preparation of Training Module: The success of a training programme largely depends upon the preparation of an effective training module. The faculties of the DIET, Sonitpur have been rendering helping hand to the SCERT, SSA and district educational authority in the preparation of modules of various teachers training programme on a regular basis. Besides, with the help of various resourceful teachers of the District, the DIET has been developing the training module for their teacher training programme.
- Analysis of new approach to existing text books : DIET, Sonitpur has been conducting various workshop among the faculty members as well as the teacher representatives for analysis of new approach incorporated in the existing text book on the basis of field experiences and feedback report gathered by the faculties during school support visit. In this way the institute put forward valuable suggestion to the state machinery in respect of the acceptability of text book based in the feedback received from field interaction.
- Support to RBC and KGBV : In order to mainstream they Heard to Reach dropout out of school children the formal education system, SSA and elementary education department establish a number of Residential Bridge Course Centres and Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya in certain education block of the district. Out faculties have been providing necessary academic support to these educational institution on a regular basis.
- School AIDS Education: Our DIET has been conducting a series of workshop and training programmes as well as awareness campaign on various issues related to AIDS its control and protection under the banner of school education programme among the secondary school teachers along with the students of class – ix and x form time to time.
- Publication of Wall Magazine, Annual Magazine, Newsletter etc.: In order to enrich the students literally, DIET, Sonitpur has been publishing a nos. of Wall Magazine, Annual Magazine (both hand written and printed), Newsletters on a regular basis in which the students as well as teacher trainees have been exercising their creativities and inner talents in literal aspects. In addition to these, an annual magazine has been published by KKHSOU Study Centre where KKHSOU students/trainees took part with a lot of creative writings.
- Role in Free Text Book Distribution: The DIET faculty attached to a particular education block is the member of the block level free text book distribution committee. So, the attached faculty member of the concerned elementary education block has to be attended on the formal free text book distribution day in order to supervise and monitor the entire programme. Moreover, the Principal of this institute is one of the members of District Fee Text Book Distribution Committee.
- Holding Seminar at DIET: A district level seminar on Professional development was organized by DIET where two Sr. Lecturers of this DIET and District Programme Officer (TT), SSA, Sonitpur presented seminar papers on three important topics. Besides, the DIET, Sonitpur has been holding seminars among the faculties and D.El.Ed. Students on regular basis were the faculty members and students presented some valuable seminar papers.
- Role of DIET on SSA Mission: The DIET, Sonitpur has been playing a major role in various activities of SSA mission Sonitpur. Different teacher training programme on various subjects conducted by SSA, Sonitpur have been prepared by DIET, Sonitpur. As per the guidelines of SSA, one DIET faculty is attached to each elementary education block as academic in-charge. The DIET faculty attached to each block is the chairperson of Block Academic Core Group which is primarily responsible for academic development of the education block. The meeting of BACG is held once in a month in which various academic problems of the block are discussed in order to find out the needful solution. At the district level, there is District Academic Core Group, where various academic problems of the district are discussed to find out the needful solutions. In this district level academic core group, the Principal of the DIET is the chairperson and all the DIET faculties attached to each of the elementary education blocks are the members. In addition to these, the DIET faculties have been rendering their full cooperation and academic support to other components of SSA like community mobilization, IED, special training centres, teacher training etc. DIET faculties also have been playing important roles in planning and support visit through DACG/BACG when required.
Voluntary Service to Private Schools: As per the request of the nearby private schools, the subject expert faculty members provide training and academic support to the concerned schools in different subjects.